The Salty Dog is a light blend of grapefruit juice and gin with a salted rim. Even if you can’t go to the beach this summer, this is ideal! Try a French 75 if you enjoy gin.
Have you had a Salty Dog before? But first, have you ever heard of a Salty Dog?
I get the impression that this is a drink that is more known to those of us who live by the coast, but that does not imply that we are the only ones who get to enjoy it!
- What’s in a Salty Dog drink?
- What kind of grapefruit juice should I use?
- Can I use a different kind of juice?
- How to juice a grapefruit
- How to make a Salty Dog cocktail
- Should it be stirred or shaken?
- Is a Salty Dog sweet or savory?
- Salty Dog Cocktail
- What’s a Salty Dog made of?
- What’s the difference between a Salty Dog and a paloma?
- Why is it called a Salty Dog drink?
- What is the history of the salty dog cocktail?
- What is the difference between a Salty Dog and a greyhound cocktail?
- What glass is a Salty Dog served in?
- What is Mexico’s national drink?
- What is a Salty Dog without salt called?
- Which cocktails have the least calories?
- Why do people lick salt before drinking alcohol?
What’s in a Salty Dog drink?
It’s a straightforward drink with only three ingredients: gin, grapefruit juice, and salt. The grapefruit is the star of the show, so make sure you use a nice, juicy, fresh one.
I’ve seen Salty Dogs made using vodka instead of gin, but gin is my personal choice.
What kind of grapefruit juice should I use?
I definitely advocate freshly squeezed grapefruit juice for drinks since the taste is much superior to that of bottled juices. So if you can get your hands on a grapefruit or two, that would be fantastic.
If you can’t, use bottled grapefruit juice that is 100% grapefruit juice rather than a grapefruit juice cocktail or grapefruit juice drink. Keep an eye out for additions such as sweeteners or preservatives.
Can I use a different kind of juice?
You could, but it wouldn’t be a typical Salty Dog!
- If you use orange juice instead of grapefruit juice, you’ll be on your way to an Orange Blossom (vermouth required).
- The Cape Codder.You may make a Cape Cod cocktail by substituting vodka for gin and cranberry juice for grapefruit juice.
- A Sea Breeze is created by substituting vodka for gin and then adding cranberry juice to the grapefruit juice.
How to juice a grapefruit
Fortunately, you do not need a high-end juicer to juice a grapefruit.
- The first step is to roll the grapefruit on the counter with your hand to liberate the juices.
- Cut the grapefruit in half crosswise on a chopping board using a broad chefs knife.
- If you have a portable juicer, lay half of the grapefruit flesh side down on top and push and whirl to extract all of the juices.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have one! Hold the grapefruit half in one hand and a fork in the other over a dish. Twist the fork around in the internal flesh of the grapefruit while pressing it to let the juices flow out.
It yielded 4 cup of juice. 2 cup to 3You should obtain roughly 1 grapefruit depending on the kind.
4 cup), so get two grapefruits from the shop to ensure you have plenty.Two of these drinks need 6 ounces (three total).
How to make a Salty Dog cocktail
- First and foremost, make sure your glasses are refrigerated; they should be as cold as possible.
- After that, wet the rims of each glass and dip them in coarse salt (such as margarita salt or kosher salt) before filling them with ice cubes. I like to push the rims into the flesh of a freshly juiced grapefruit half!
- Then add half of the gin, followed by half of the grapefruit juice. That’s all.
- Of course, you may top it with anything you like. A little wedge of grapefruit or a thin grapefruit slice pushed against the inside of the glass is my personal choice. It adds taste and makes a nice appearance!
Should it be stirred or shaken?
I don’t stir mine since I prefer the color gradient that results from just putting the components on top of each other. But you could certainly stir things up if you wanted to.
Alternatively, you might mix the gin and grapefruit with ice in a cocktail shaker.
Is a Salty Dog sweet or savory?
One of my favorite aspects of the Salty Dog is that it is neither sweet nor sour. The taste of grapefruit is somewhat sweet, little bitter, and slightly sour.
So when paired with gin, you get a more flavorful cocktail. Not savory in the way that you’d eat a slice of cheese, but mildly flavorful. A branch of rosemary as a garnish would be ideal.
If you don’t like the term Salty Dog, simply rename it gin and juice to be trendy (or whatever the youngsters call it these days).
Am I cool now? [taps mic] Is this thing on?
Salty Dog Cocktail
- ✓ Read the recipe beginning to end
- ✓ Check oven calibration
- ✓ Check expiration dates
- ✓ Properly measure ingredients
- ✓ Check butter temperature
- Coarse salt
- Ice cubes
- 6 ounces freshly squeezed and filtered grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit wedges, to garnish
- Place salt on a small dish or bowl and chill two highball glasses.
- Moisten the rims of two cold glasses (with grapefruit juice or water) and dip gently into salt to coat.
- Fill glasses halfway with ice cubes. Fill each glass with 2 ounces gin and 3 ounces grapefruit juice. Serve immediately with a tiny grapefruit wedge as a garnish. Enjoy!
4 oz. gin, 6 oz. fresh grapefruit juice, and grapefruit wedges