The addition of Halloween candies and fall colors transforms this into the ultimate festive party snack, whether you name it Halloween puppy chow, Halloween muddy pals, or Monster Munch. Serve this with a dish of Halloween candy bark and cinnamon buttered rum popcorn balls at your next party (for the adults, of course).
What exactly is Halloween?
It’s the American holiday when we teach kids to be charming or frightening so that people will give them candy, and then they go all wired on sugar and behave like small crazy people until they sleep on the living room floor dressed up like Batman in a pool of sticky drool.
And so I decided I’d go right into the sweet deep end with this Halloween Chex mix muddy pals predicament.
- Ingredients for Halloween puppy chow
- Adding candy to make it Halloween-themed
- Halloween Puppy Chow (Halloween Muddy Buddies)
- Is puppy chow the same as Muddy Buddies?
- What came first Muddy Buddies or puppy chow?
- What is Muddy Buddies puppy chow called?
- Is puppy chow a midwest thing?
- Why is puppy chow hard to find?
- Why is puppy chow out of stock everywhere?
- Why are my Muddy Buddies soggy?
- Why are my Muddy Buddies stale?
- Why is it called puppy chow?
- Is puppy chow a wisconsin thing?
Ingredients for Halloween puppy chow
- Chex coated with chocolate, peanut butter, and devil’s food cake mix
- Chex cereal with sprinkles, white chocolate, and powdered sugar
- Pumpkins with candy corn and mellowcreme
- Bits of Reese’s
- Mini Reese’s white chocolate cups
- Miniature marshmallows
- Worms in Gummy Form
- Eyeballs made with candy
This is not a refined gluten-free, sugar-free, or dairy-free product. But wait! I made it using gluten-free Chex cereal! But I believe when you add everything else on top of that, it loses its relevance. Womp, womp, womp.
So be it. I won’t say I didn’t try.
Adding candy to make it Halloween-themed
I simply wanted to throw something out there. That wouldn’t be a very nice Halloween treat if there wasn’t anything creepy or unpleasant in it, would it? I chose gummy worms and sweets that resembled eyes. Modest, yet powerful.
You may obviously use anything you want in this! Replace the M&Ms with caramels or the marshmallows with cinnamon sugar coated roasted chickpeas (its a thing).
You may also use Nutella for the chocolate in the coating, or white chocolate for a different kind of chocolate melts. Substitute red velvet cake mix for the devil’s food cake mix.
If the gummy worms, eyes, and other Halloween sweets were removed, this could easily be a Thanksgiving dish.
My friends, the possibilities for dog chow are limitless.
Let out your inner sugar-fueled Batman.
Halloween Puppy Chow (Halloween Muddy Buddies)
- ✓ Read the recipe beginning to end
- ✓ Check oven calibration
- ✓ Check expiration dates
- ✓ Properly measure ingredients
- ✓ Check butter temperature
- Sheet pan with a high side
- Paper made with parchment (precut)
- blending bowls
- Little frying pan
- 9cups Divided Chex, Corn, Rice, or Both
- a cup of dark chocolate chips
- a cup of creamy peanut butter
- a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- cake mix for devils
- 6 oz. white candy melts
- granulated sugar
- Sprinkles for Halloween
- Brachs Assorted Halloween Mellowcreme Candy, 11 oz.
- 1 cup M&Ms (Fall Harvest)
- 1 cup of Reese’s Pieces
- 8 oz. Reese’s White Mini Cups
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 6 oz. gummy worms
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and divide the Chex equally between two big mixing basins. Set aside.
9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
12 cup dark chocolate chips, 4 cup creamy peanut butter, 2 teaspoons butter 1
Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until smooth and blended.
- Toss 2 cups devil’s food cake mix to blend and coat.
Pour over the Chex in one dish and mix to blend and coat completely. Stir in the Devil’s Food Cake Mix.
- Let to sit for at least 15 minutes on one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Microwave white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
White candy melts, 6 oz.
- Toss with 2 cups powdered sugar to coat. Toss in the sprinkles to blend.
Pour the white chocolate over the remaining Chex cereal and gently swirl to incorporate. Stir in the powdered sugar
- Pour onto the second baking sheet and leave aside for at least 15 minutes.
- To mix, throw everything together. Until ready to serve, store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
11 oz. package of Halloween sprinkles Brachs Halloween Mellowcreme Assortment 1 cup M&Ms, 1 cup Reeses Pieces, 8 ounces Reeses White Mini Cups, 1 cup tiny marshmallows, 6 ounces gummy worms
Stir together all prepared Chex mixes and all other ingredients in a large mixing basin.
This piece was first published in October 2017 and has now been edited and reprinted for clarity.