This homemade Dunkaroo dip is a homemade version of the traditional childhood treat that you’d pack in your lunchbox. Simple 3-ingredient funfetti cake mix dessert dip laden with sprinkles, excellent for animal cracker dipping!
If you can’t get enough funfetti, try my chewy funfetti granola bars, funfetti rice krispy treats, funfetti whipped cream, and funfetti popcorn.
- Do you remember Dunkaroos?
- Why funfetti dip is going to be your new favorite thing
- Ingredients for funfetti dip
- 6 tips for making Dunkaroo Dip
- Heat treating the flour in the cake mix
- You don’t need exact quantities
- Prepare to be the most popular person you know
- Quick story time
- Homemade Dunkaroo Dip Recipe (Funfetti Dip)
- What is Dunkaroo dip made of?
- Can you eat Funfetti cake mix raw?
- Can you freeze cake batter dip?
- Is Funfetti just vanilla with sprinkles?
- What kind of frosting is in Dunkaroos?
- Can you eat raw cake mix?
- Is it better to freeze cake or batter?
- Can you freeze batter with baking soda?
- Does cake taste the same after freezing?
- Do cakes still taste as good after freezing?
Do you remember Dunkaroos?
I know they’ve just lately returned to shops, but it’s one of my favorite childhood treats.
Having a little jar of those gorgeous cookies with a small pod of powdered cake batter dip was the best thing that could possibly happen to a sack lunch.
Since they were no longer manufactured, I knew I wanted to create my own as a simple dessert dip to remember my childhood, and now you can, too!
Why funfetti dip is going to be your new favorite thing
- It is quite simple to prepare. Really, it’s that simple.
- People go crazy about it! Everyone, including children and adults, is welcome. It will rapidly go during gatherings, so make sure you receive your fair portion first. Dessert dips are virtually always popular at parties.
- There are no unusual ingredients, and it is readily adaptable.
Ingredients for funfetti dip
- The main element in the entire shebang is funfetti cake mix! Either an 18.9 oz or a 15.25 oz package would suffice.
- You may use non-vanilla flavored yogurt instead, but I like the taste it imparts.
- Cool Whip: This should be thawed in the refrigerator rather than from the freezer, since it will be harder to blend.
- Rainbow sprinkles: Who wouldn’t want extra sprinkles in their sprinkle dip?
- You may also use graham crackers, teddy grahams, or whatever makes you happy for dipping into such dip.
6 tips for making Dunkaroo Dip
- Use a bigger mixing bowl than you think you’ll need! This allows you to completely combine everything without having to be extra careful not to drop cake mix everywhere.
- Mix everything together with a firm wooden spoon and spatula. You may also use a big whisk if you like; just scrape the mixture from the center. Your best option is to use wooden spoons or broad, strong spatulas.
- I suggest using vanilla-flavored yogurt for creating homemade Dunkaroos. Use a taste you know you’ll like!
- You’ll note that there’s probably not a lot of funfetti going on once you’ve mixed everything. It will smell like it, but it will not look like it since the colors of the sprinkles will blend in with the yogurt and Cool Whip. Now is when we go all out with the sparkles, because why not?
- Transfer to a smaller, clean bowl to serve. Make sure it’s a reasonable size for guests to dip into and a fridge-safe dish (since thats where it will need to be stored).
- Then, at the risk of sounding repetitive, add more sprinkles.
Heat treating the flour in the cake mix
If you are worried about the presence of microorganisms in raw flour, lay it out on a baking sheet and toast it at 350F for 5 minutes. Let it to cool before proceeding with the directions above.
Please keep in mind that the sprinkles in the funfetti cake mix may discolor or get melted and spread. So don’t worry, it’s just another incentive to add extra sprinkles.
You don’t need exact quantities
I wanted to keep the numbers simple, so I used a whole box of funfetti cake mix, an entire container of yogurt, and an entire container of Cool Whip.
But it doesn’t mean your Dunkaroo Dip won’t work if you don’t have all of the ingredients. Therefore don’t be concerned! The only variation you’ll notice is in the texture; if you’re short on wet components, the dip will be a bit denser.
- If you run out of cake mix, it may be a bit fluffier. But it will be good nonetheless.
- I previously made this with a 6 ounce single serve yogurt and it worked just well, so don’t worry if you don’t have a whole 8 ounces of yogurt.
- Similarly, some cake mixes come in 18.9 ounce boxes, while others come in 15.25 ounce boxes. Both are just fine!
Prepare to be the most popular person you know
Make a batch of this funfetti dip and prepare to be surrounded by a swarm of people. They are your new best pals, so treat them well and have enough of animal crackers on hand! (I’m serious; purchase in bulk (aff link) and you’ll thank me later.)
Alternatively, graham crackers. Maybe even Teddy Grahams. Pretzels are another option. Alternatively, a spoon. In other words, whatever works.
Quick story time
If you want to skip this, go directly to the recipe!
It was said at a prior employment that several of my employees had never encountered Dunkaroos when they initially arrived. I couldn’t let it go, so I decided to make this in the middle of the day at my workplace so everyone could enjoy this sprinkle-filled, cake batter-flavored 90s memories.
One of my colleagues went on a Prime Now buying frenzy (back when it was just Whole Foods orders), and I fed his new addiction by asking him to add the ingredients for this dip.
Aside: Our purchase was a rather bizarre collection of items. A computer monitor cable, ice cream, Cool Whip, funfetti cake mix, yogurt, pudding, a fan, and perhaps a rom-com and a litter of puppies were also there.
But I’m very sure the man who delivered our meal mistook it for a female computer technician who was PMSing, experiencing hot flashes, and going through a breakup.
My cubicle neighbor dipped a cracker in it, tasted it, grabbed another cracker and tasted it again, and then hastily sought for his own bowl to pile dip and crackers into while mumbling, You are a WIZARD.
I don’t use Snapchat, but he obviously took a photo of it all with a comment to that effect as well. Another employee kept asking, “Does this taste like cake batter?” I mean, I understand what’s in it, but HOW? HOW COME THIS IS SO GOOD?! every time he chewed into anything.
Others showered me with high fives, fist bumps, and nearly Obscene moaning and groaning. I challenged my office manager to lick the bowl when it was practically empty. Even if I didn’t witness her do it, that doesn’t imply it didn’t happen.
Oh… yeah. This chicken cake batter supper dessert is a definite hit in my book.
Homemade Dunkaroo Dip Recipe (Funfetti Dip)
- ✓ Read the recipe beginning to end
- ✓ Check oven calibration
- ✓ Check expiration dates
- ✓ Properly measure ingredients
- ✓ Check butter temperature
- blending bowls
- Spoon made of wood
- a spoon for mixing
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix (either 18.9 oz or 15.25 oz)*
- 1 cup of vanilla yogurt
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (from the fridge, not the freezer)
- 4 cup rainbow sprinkles, optional for more color (I normally add approximately 1 cup)
- Dippable animal crackers
- In a large mixing basin, combine the Funfetti mix*, yogurt, and Cool Whip using a big wooden spoon or spatula and whisk until thoroughly blended.
1 Funfetti cake mix box, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 8 ounces Cool Whip, Rainbow sprinkles
- Cover and refrigerate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with additional sprinkles and animal crackers for dipping, and enjoy!
Crackers for animals
- *Note regarding dry cake mix: If you are worried about the possibility for germs in raw flour, lay it out on a baking sheet and toast it at 350F for 5 minutes. Let it to cool before proceeding with the directions above. Please keep in mind that the sprinkles in the funfetti cake mix may discolor or get melted and spread.
- Make sure the Cool Whip is completely frozen before you begin, or you may have a difficult time getting it to blend properly.
- You may use a hand mixer or just a spoon to whisk it up to your liking.