Make your own cilantro lime brown rice instead of going to Chipotle! With a hearty dose of lime and cilantro, fluffy brown rice gets a boost. Serve with grilled Mexican corn and a strawberry basil margarita!
My father recently asked me how I prefer to make brown rice, which reminded me of one of my favorite side dishes: Cilantro Lime Brown Rice!
It’s incredibly simple, light in texture, and great with an almost infinite amount of meals!
- Here are a few of my favorites meal pairings:
- Do you love or hate cilantro?
- Is brown rice healthier than white rice?
- A few tips for making cilantro lime rice
- Behind the scenes
- What to serve with cilantro lime brown rice
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice (Chipotle Copycat)
- Is the brown rice at Chipotle cilantro lime?
- Is cilantro lime rice or brown rice better for you?
- What can I add to brown rice to make it taste better?
- Why does Chipotle rice have cilantro?
- Is Chipotle brown rice healthier than white?
- Is Chipotle’s brown rice actually brown rice?
- What is the most healthiest rice to eat?
- What is the healthiest rice in the world?
- What is the healthiest rice ever?
- Why do you soak brown rice before cooking?
Here are a few of my favorites meal pairings:
- Served behind a dish of grilled chicken and pineapple.
- Within a packed tortilla with steak, black beans, corn, guacamole, and cheese (or in a handmade burrito bowl!)
- Together with sautéed kale with garlic
- In a dish with grilled Mexican corn (and copious amounts of cotija cheese)
- Instead, serve with a slice of lime!
Do you love or hate cilantro?
I like the aroma of fresh cilantro. It’s pleasant and reminds me of summer barbeque (probably because the first thing I do when the weather warms up is grill corn and slather it with cheese and cilantro).
Some individuals despise cilantro to the point of obsession. In my last workplace, there was a running joke that two of the ladies I worked with had cilantro illness; they both believed cilantro tasted like soap and refused to eat anything with cilantro on it.
For the longest time, I assumed they were both exaggerating, but then I saw an article about how it is a true phenomenon! Were you aware of this?
Those who can’t stomach the taste of cilantro have sensitive olfactory-receptor genes that detect the scent of aldehyde compounds found in both cilantro and soap, and hence cilantro tastes like soap to them. That’s insane!
I’m so glad I don’t have this sensitivity because I adore cilantro.
Is brown rice healthier than white rice?
In general, the answer is yes. Yet, this is mostly due to the fact that white rice is nutrient-neutral due to the processing it undergoes.
Brown rice has less salt than white rice and also includes natural minerals such as potassium, fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and manganese.
A few tips for making cilantro lime rice
- I like cooking a large batch of this rice and then dividing it into individual containers to serve as a side dish with various dinners throughout the week. Weekly meal planning is the way to go!
- If you have a rice cooker, feel free to use it, but as I don’t, my instructions are prepared for the old-fashioned saucepan approach.
- I also like to use a lot of lime: fresh lime juice in the water I’m cooking the rice in, lime juice and lime zest when I combine it all together. EVERY LIME. If you don’t like lime as much as I do, feel free to reduce the amount wherever you see appropriate.
Behind the scenes
Aside: Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes of these food picture shoots?
Why don’t I show you, because sometimes I’m filming and I think to myself, Honestly, Bluebirdcafela.com? Really? and this was one of those instances, but to show it wasn’t utterly stupid (yeah, yes, it was, but bear with me), I took the shot next to it.
That was really worth it!
What to serve with cilantro lime brown rice
- 40 Aprons’ Steak Taco Bowls
- The Busy Baker Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Grilled Corn from Mexico
- Whitney Bond’s Blackened Grilled Salmon
- Recipe Tin Eats Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice (Chipotle Copycat)
- ✓ Read the recipe beginning to end
- ✓ Check oven calibration
- ✓ Check expiration dates
- ✓ Properly measure ingredients
- ✓ Check butter temperature
- Small saucepan
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter alternative)
- split juice from up to two limes
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + 2 teaspoon minced garlic 1 teaspoon garlic salt, or 1 teaspoon
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Bring rice, water, butter, and 1 lime juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover. Let it to cook for 40 minutes, undisturbed.
1 cup brown rice, 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons butter, up to 2 limes’ juice
- Keep the cover on and remove from the heat for another 10 minutes to allow it to steam.
- 1 lime zest, 3 cup fresh cilantro
When the rice is finishing up, coarsely cut the cilantro and zest 1 lime.
- 2 tsp garlic powder
Using a fork, fluff the final rice. Stir in the remaining lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and lime zest.
- Serve immediately, and if desired, with a slice of lime. Enjoy!