Nowadays, it is difficult to find a house that does not include a microwave as a standard kitchen device. Microwave cooking is a vital time saver, especially in the United States, where we are used to a hectic and fast-paced lifestyle.
And microwave steaming is the next step in easy, healthy eating trends. Fortunately, there are numerous of the finest microwave steamers on the market to make the work easier.
One thing your microwave excels at is steaming meals such as meats and veggies. That’s great news since steamed food is both delicious and healthful. Steaming retains nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are sometimes lost during the cooking process.
- Best Microwave Steamer Reviews
- What is a Microwave Steamer
- What to Look for in a Microwave Steamer
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Takeaway on the Best Microwave Steamers
- Is microwave steamer good?
- What can I use as a substitute for a microwave steamer?
- Are food steamers worth buying?
- Do microwave vegetable steamers work?
- Is steaming healthier than microwaving?
- Is an electric steamer better than a microwave?
- How do you steam in a microwave without a steamer?
- What is the best appliance to reheat food?
- How do you steam vegetables without a steamer in the microwave?
- Which brand food steamer is best?
Best Microwave Steamer Reviews
From multi-functioning steamers that can cook and store food to unique safety features, there are a few things to look for to get the most bang for your dollars.
Microwave food steamers are getting more popular, and with more availability comes increased competition.
1.Sistema Large Microwave Steamer
- Nice square design that fits nicely in cabinets and can be stacked.
- BPA and phthalate-free ingredients make this product safe to use.
- The steamer basket’s cool-to-touch tabs and central stalk are meant to protect while handling.
- While the steamer basket has a center stalk that remains cold to the touch (which we love), it severely restricts the amount of food that can be placed in the basket.
- The container’s snaps seem to be prone to warping and may not shut properly after the first few usage.
- It comes in a big size that is ideal for making family dinners, however it may not fit in smaller microwaves.
Sistema’s microwave steamer is only one component in a line of microwavable cookware. Their whole collection is stackable, freezer-safe, and dishwasher-safe. Our favorite feature, though, has to be the heat-safe easy-lift tabs that safeguard your fingertips from burns.
Sistema is a worldwide competitor in kitchen plastics. It began in New Zealand but swiftly gained global acclaim for its attractively designed, useful, and food-safe storage goods. With a focus on food-safe plastics for the kitchen, it seems to reason that they would enter the microwavable steamer industry.
2. Progressive International Fish/Veggie Steamer
- A one-quart flat design stores and travels well.
- It has an adjustable steam vent.
- It is constructed of safe polymers, such as BPA-free materials and high-heat resistant polypropylene.
- Despite being made of high-heat polypropylene, this steamer seems to distort after a few usage.
- When it’s heated, it’s difficult to manage. Some competitors feature stay-cool grips to assist with this. This model is not one of them.
- Overall, this is suitable for occasional, single-meal usage. If it is extensively used, it will not last long.
If you need something a bit more portable to create healthy lunches at work, Progressive International makes a one-quart microwave steamer that is ideal. It is constructed of BPA-free, high heat polypropylene plastic and may be used in the microwave and dishwasher.
Progressive International is no stranger to cutting-edge kitchen appliances. For almost four decades, they have been rethinking the kitchen. They created a microwave steamer that is appropriately suited for student dormitories and business break rooms due to modern convenience and on-the-go lives.
3.OXO Good Grips Microwave Steamer
- It is quite durable. The most common criticism leveled towards microwave steamers is that they warp after usage. This is an extremely durable, BPA-free plastic that does not readily warp.
- It’s quite well-designed. Every feature, from the temperature-safe handles to the simplicity with which the inner basket can be removed, is designed for ease of use and cleaning.
- We appreciate this manufacturer’s dedication to excellence. There is no reason not to give this product a try.
- The lid is supposed to be hinged and permanently connected to the bowl, yet it seems to be rather simple to break off.
- While OXO promises an adjustable vent on this steamer, it may be difficult to operate. At least we weren’t the only ones who couldn’t figure it out.
- While it is strong, it is not foldable and therefore difficult to store.
OXO Good Grips manufactures a microwave steamer as part of a superb product from a prominent brand name that is supported by a quality guarantee. It boasts a huge capacity for family dinners, design elements for easy handling while hot, and BPA-free plastics for peace of mind.
OXO is a well-known American firm that has been surpassing our kitchen expectations for over thirty years. Their dedication to quality is outstanding, and they can’t wait to tell you about it, as well as how they will stand by their product and make it right if it isn’t flawless. What else would you expect from an American corporation?
4. Microwave Steamer Collapsible Bowl
- It is comprised of BPA-free plastics and safe, food-grade components.
- It has a basic design that makes it simple to use, disassemble, clean, and store.
- It is dishwasher safe or easy to clean by hand.
- Choose an adequate size to fit in your microwave with care.Larger microwave dishes will not fit in smaller microwaves.
- When handling hot, freshly cooked items, the flexible design isn’t ideal since it accidently buckles.
- Overall, it seems fragile; maybe it is due to the foldable form or the material; either way, it is not as durable as we had anticipated.
The Euchoiz foldable steamer is ideal for a basic microwave steamer that ticks all of the boxes. It is comprised of safe materials such as food-grade silicone and can withstand temperatures of up to 480 degrees Fahrenheit. The folding form saves space and makes storage and travel easier. It also comes in a variety of sizes to meet a variety of requirements, from solo meals to family spreads.
This is a no-known brand name that, like many other Amazon items, presumably gained to prominence courtesy to Amazon resellers. As long as the device works, the brand name should not be a deal breaker unless you are a total snob when it comes to kitchen gadgets.
5. Snips Microwave Steamer
- The Italian quality is obvious. It is quite durable, which is a typical criticism about other microwave steamers on the market.
- This is a very adaptable design. It is as effective for warming leftovers as it is for steaming new meat and veggies.
- It may be used in the dishwasher, microwave, freezer, and refrigerator.
- It is created sustainably using BPA-free and toxin-free polymers.
- Although it is not foldable, the bowls nest beautifully in each other, making storage possible.
- When fully assembled, it stands very tall and may not fit well in smaller microwaves with limited height clearance.
- It lacks the safe-handling elements that other companies have integrated into their designs, such as cool-to-the-touch handles.
For convenience, you can prepare, serve, and store all in one unit, eliminating the need for additional dishes. It features a 16.8 cup capacity and separate reservoirs for food and water, as well as a transparent cover.
Snips is an Italian firm that has been innovating in the kitchen for over 50 years. If you’re accustomed with the high quality of Italian products, this company’s collection of kitchen gadgets should be no exception. Quality, social responsibility, cooperation, and innovation are all important to the organization.
What is a Microwave Steamer
A steamer is a two-layer pan-like cooking device. A little quantity of water is held in the lowest layer, nearest to the heat source. As the water heats up, steam is expelled into the top chamber via vent holes. The food is cooking in the top chamber because it is surrounded by steam.
Traditional stovetop steamers function, but they have limits in terms of time and effort necessary to utilize them. Manufacturers have developed a way to adapt this cooking procedure using microwave-safe materials because microwaves have become ubiquitous in households all over the globe.
The benefit of microwave steamers is that they are meant to heat, serve, and store all in the same container. Their convenience extends well beyond the ability to swiftly prepare meals in a microwave. To assist you, we have compiled a list of what we believe to be the finest microwave steamers on the market.
What to Look for in a Microwave Steamer
A few characteristics seem to be typical on all microwave vegetable steamers, while others differ by type. They are not pricey kitchen gadgets, but there is still a price and quality range to consider. Here are a few things that customers should check for when purchasing a microwave food steamer.
- Based on what we know about plastics today, we can create modern, food-safe materials. Polycarbonate is the most often used plastic for food-grade applications because it is robust and long-lasting. However, hazardous compounds such as BPA are often present in polycarbonates. Because their usage has only just started to be phased out, older models may contain these dangerous compounds.
- Simple to use, clean, and store. One of the primary reasons why kitchen gadgets are buried in the cupboard and seldom seen is because they are too difficult to set up, operate, or clean. These devices are intended to reduce time and be more efficient; ensure that the idea was well thought through. Look for designs that nest or collapse, materials that are dishwasher safe, and minimum components.
- Design features that promote safety. Steam is very hot, and microwaves are notorious for creating extremely hot food, so combining the two can only mean one thing: whatever comes out of this steamer will be extremely hot. Look for designs with stay-cool handles or automatic vents to make them easier to handle.
- Size, requirements, and space considerations. Microwave steamers are available in a variety of sizes and forms for a reason. Some are excellent for big capacity family meals, while others are suitable for limited space and compact microwaves. Look for a microwave-safe choice that can manage the amount of meals you want to make.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are thinking of acquiring a microwave steamer for the first time (or replacing an older one), there are a few things you should be aware of in the realm of kitchen technology.
Are plastics safe to put in the microwave?
Plastic goods, particularly those for food, have been manufactured from a wide range of materials throughout the years. We’ve learnt more about these materials throughout time and discovered that some aren’t as suitable for food as we first imagined.
Look for plastics that are BPA-free or Phthalate-free. Because BPA is a common ingredient in many polycarbonate plastics, double-check that the product is also labeled BPA-free. BPA exposure from products such as infant bottles and food containers may damage brain development, memory, and mood.
Phthalates are another kind of chemical that may be found in anything from cosmetics to plastics and even food. We are still learning more about phthalates, but preliminary research suggests that there may be correlations between exposure and prevalent chronic conditions. If you can avoid them (which is difficult since they seem to be in everything), you should.
Our microwave steamers are all BPA-free, and some are also phthalate-free. Because of the desire for social responsibility on the part of manufacturers, it is really difficult to find a polycarbonate food product created in the previous five years that is not BPA-free. If you have outdated kitchen plastics, there is an excellent excuse to get rid of them and replace them.
Is steaming food in the microwave healthy?
When compared to other cooking processes, steaming food is considered a healthier alternative. The key reason is that it maintains the nutrients in the meal. The cooking process alters the natural fiber content, minerals, and vitamins in foods. In certain situations, you might mistakenly bake or boil away all of the healthy elements of food. However, steaming your food preserves the nutrients and ensures that you get the most out of your meats and veggies.
The quick answer is that, according to Harvard Health, microwave steaming food is healthful. We define healthy as retaining the nutrients of the meal. To accomplish so, it must cook fast with as little exposure to the heat source as possible. Microwaves accomplish the rapid part even without steaming, so combining the microwave’s quick-cooking action with the nutrient-preserving approach of steaming is a win-win.
What kind of foods can be made in a microwave steamer?
If you’ve never steamed anything other than veggies, you’re in for a treat. To give healthier, more convenient alternatives, many different meals may be made in a microwave steamer.
To begin, fresh or frozen veggies may be quickly cooked in a microwave steamer. If you’re cooking from scratch, soak your veggies in cold water beforehand to kill any bugs. Any vegetable may be steamed, although broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, leafy greens, asparagus, and green beans seem to be the best.
You may also steam cook rice, albeit owing to the volume that rice produces, most people use a separate rice cooker for this reason. However, you could create a single serving in one of these microwave vegetable steamers.
Fish is the simplest meat to steam in the microwave. It is most effective with white fish such as cod, haddock, halibut, and flounder. Salmon may also be cooked in a microwave steamer. You can also cook eggs in a microwave steamer, such as poached eggs.
The Takeaway on the Best Microwave Steamers
Microwave steamers are well-known for the quantity of convenience they give, rather than their large size. Most versions on the market are only capable of making meals for one or two people.
Even if you locate a bigger model, it could not fit comfortably in your microwave. Before purchasing, consider how often you will use it and what will fit in your microwave.
The one disadvantage of these time-saving, healthful food-preparation tricks is that heat and moisture exposure warps the plastic materials. Some models are more prone to warping than others, but it seems to be a widespread issue.
- Best Microwave Cover: Every Kitchens Must-Have