In less than 30 minutes, you can have three ingredient banana dog treats ready for your beloved companion! Try Peanut Butter Cookie Dog Treats, Carrot + Squash Dog Treats, or Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treats for additional dog treat options.
I noticed Penny’s treat cache was running low when we were performing some training with her. I had a banana on hand and decided to make her some fresh snacks with it.
I had to do some research to be sure I wasn’t feeding her anything harmful, and I learned that coconut oil seemed to be a suitable choice for helping the dough stay together. I was planning on using applesauce, but it may have been too mushy.
That expression? This is the expression she gives me when she realizes I’m going to work in the kitchen.
It’s a combination of, Do you really believe you’re leaving this room? and I’m concerned about what you’re going to do. However, nonetheless, I shall dart after you at full speed, as if I were being pursued by Satan.
Fortunately, she profited from giving me a snuggle-reprieve.
Banana Dog Treats
[Created 20 medium-sized goodies and 24 bite-sized treats]
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, blend all ingredients together with electric mixer until a dough is formed.
- Roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters into desired sizes.
- Or, for bite-sized treats, roll small amounts of dough into balls and then flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Use your forefinger to press a circular indentation into the bottom half, and then cut a toothpick so that you have a flat end (or use the flat end of a skewer) and press four dots into the top – it will look like a paw print!
- Just keep in mind that while these treats won’t spread when they bake, any imprints on the treats will lose their shape a little bit. So a good rule of thumb is to exaggerate your decorations a little bit knowing they’ll “melt” a little.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, or until they start turning golden brown around the edges.